Monday, March 29, 2010

Sometimes you have to fake it til’ you make it!

Working Girl exposes only a fraction, of the reality, of what it really cost to make your way up the social chain in America. In the film, two social class are represented, the working class and the upper class business professionals. The main character Tess is of the working class and her super objective is to become a professional business women. Her class was revealed by the way she dress (style of clothes, jewelry, make-up, and hair), her friends, how she talked, employment history, and educational institution. What I love most is about Tess character is her ambition, her determination to accelerate in life. She was confident in the direction in which was going in life. She made the decision not to be pigeonholed or weighed down with the life that society “suggested” for her. It was very clear in the when Tess told Cyn that, she was taking her own direction in effort to trying to make her life better -- “I am not going to spend the rest of my life working my ass off getting nowhere just because I followed rules that I didn’t set up.” One of the things that I pointed out in this in particular scene was the attitude that Cyn had towards some of Tess career decisions life style changes. Cyn played the supportive role but in this scene she was a little unsure about Tess’s vision in life. She even said to her, “Sometimes I sing and dance around the house in my underwear—doesn’t make me Madonna—never will.” I felt that that statement was a direct blow at Tess overall life objective, suggesting that Tess was trying to be something that “she’s not.” It attitude is often times common for friends and family members see you stepping outside of traditional boundaries, going after something that has never been done before. There was a young woman from Kentucky, In People Like Us, who went through the same thing with her family after she made the decision to move to Washington D.C to following her dreams come becoming a writer. She talks about the rejection that she suffers from her family because she chose to live beyond the social class that she was raised.

Name dropping and fashion were other things that I saw in the film working to mimic the lifestyles of the rich and successful. While Tess is stripping Katherine ski boots, she is giving her the details about her hotel room. When Katherine finds out that is it’s a first floor room she is light-weight disgusted, she goes, “Did you give them my name?” I thought it was funny because upper class people go far the penthouse suite; an expensive and comfortable top floor room, or something exclusive and secluded. Whereas, middle class people and especially lower class people go for the most affordable/cheapest, the one closest to the exit so it’s not too much of a hassle transporting luggage. Throughout Tess transition from rags to riches she really began to adopt the look of a successful business woman. When she walked into her first business meeting with bulk accordion folder with the rubber around it, I felt really bad for her because in that atmosphere, it just screams poor. I never realized how something as simple as not carrying a briefcase to business meeting, gives of a look of inadequacy, a lack there of. :-/ High fashion tailored clothing are a part of the upper class wardrobe and the accessories that help fit the part, especially amongst the business professional. Upper class professional women have a classy, very elegant, timeless look. The film revealed that some women have no as to what a timeless look, looks like until they are confronted or taught, like Tess. However, I think Tess was full of class to begin with. She at least faked it until she made it.

In this class the discussion of rather or not, class means money or is it a state of mine comes up a lot. Based on this movie has your opinion changed or has it stayed the same? Is class achievable?

7 comments:

  1. I can't agree more with you when you said Tess was filled with ambition! She was very determined. For women, in society today, I think that is a great quality to posses. I think Cyn was just preparing Tess for failure? Maybe because she is a woman trying to be successful and climb the corporate ladder. I think with women there will always be COMPETITION. I think it may be even worse in the work field. I'm not positive because I am not a working woman yet, but I can only imagine.

    As for your question I think my opinion has remained the same. I think money will always have to do with class. That is why people aspire to be the head/owner of a company, to make the big bucks. I at least think so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually laughed out loud when you pointed out that middle class people get the room closest to the exit so they don't have to drag their luggage too far. I never thought about that before!

    As for this film, it is a slightly exaggerated version of what the real world is like for many women in the workplace. When I watch it I see a sham. I see women working harder than men for the same thing. Sorry Dr. B....no offense. But little has changed in this regard....at least in some professions and in some circles. I can speak with experience that as a woman in management, I had to work a lot harder to get there and had to work harder to stay than my male coworkers. Rarely did I see a deserving female receive recognition unless she was a subordinate and the recognition trivial. I have had ideas taken from me and represented as belonging to my male boss and many other examples of female inequality in this particular work environment. I wish I could say that this happened in only one company but unfortunately I experienced this at least 5 different companies in my lifetime. I wish it weren't true. But this film reminds me of those experiences. I see both women struggling in this way. Though they are both ambitious, I cant help but see the obvious sexual component to the success of both women. "I have a head for business and a bod for sin," is one of the most memorable lines of the film and conveys to me that successful women must also be desirable women willing to appease a man. I can't tell you how much I hate that message. I don't believe your sexuality should have any bearing on your success in any field of business. Yet it does.

    As for relating all of this to social class, I would say that money does matter in class hierarchy, however along with that distinction comes others we've discussed. Class can be determined based on education, location, family name and many other factors. But is it far fetched to think that women are still in a class beneath men, soley based on their sex?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel in this movie Cyn felt just stuck in where she stood and really didnt have the drive like Tess did to stand out and make a change. I feel like maybe there are still some women like that now days, but the large majority of us have the drive and determination. I agree with Emily women are defiantly the competition, and has more and more women realize these we are going to give men in the work place a run for their money! :) I agree to a certain point that women are working harder to get what they want, but men do too. I think it is all about how much you want it and how hard you are willing to work for it. Women might have struggled a lot more in the past to make a name for themselves, but I have noticed a number of women in the work force in high positions. I recently had a meeting with a women in the work force who was a vice present of the company she worked for and she started from the very bottom. She told me that as long as you let it be known that you are confident you know what your talking about and you know your doing you will gain a lot of respect. Which is what Tess did even though she was pretending to have a different position.

    Answering your question I am not sure. Sometimes I feel it is money that makes your status, but the other times I feel it is mental. I dont know this is a good question and I could go back and forth on in my mind because I feel like it is both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked the movie working girl, especially how it portrays two different social classes in depth. The two main social classes the movie portrays are the middle and upper class. I completely agree with what you said about Tess being ambitious. I think that she struggled in the beginning because her education was not obtained at a prominent school. Tess wants nothing but her dreams to be recognized and to hold an executive position. You can definitely tell that Tess is middle class by the clothes she wears; they are not as nice as the ones that Katherine wears. Katherine's house is very "rich" and elegant compared to Tess's apartment which is very ordinary and nothing extraordinary like Katherine's house.
    The part that really stuck out to me dealing with social class was when the hotel stay for Katherine that Tess booked was not good enough and Katherine needed better. I agree with you, when you state that the middle class would be satisfied with the room because it was cheap and still pleasant. That moment caught my eye, and made me realize how big of a difference Tess and Katherine were in social class. While Katherine is out since she broke her leg, Tess acts rich, and she wants to live the life of the rich. I think her goal of progressing in the business world never stops.

    Based on your question, I do think that class is achievable. A person is always capable of making more money therefore; there social class could change at any time. Social class is based off of money, because the more money you have the higher the social class you are in. My opinion stays the same; I think that money is always a factor when it comes to defining your social class.

    ReplyDelete
  5. with this movie they seem to try to make class seem like a state of mind. you can believe all you want that you're in a higher class. you can act like it, dress like it, attend parties for higher class individuals, and do anything else that a higher class person would like to do. but in the end does that really make you a higher class. but in reality it does come down to money sadly. if you don't have the money to back up the lifestyle people won't give you the respect in that class, and you just straight up won't be able to live up to that class style.

    in the working world today i think women are able to make it to the top executive positions if they are willing to work hard for the position. not being one myself i cannot fathom how much they have to work, or if they have to work harder, but in the jobs i have been working for i've seen more women in the managerial positions than men. i don't really know if that's a coincidence or just the jobs i've held it's easier for the women to take charge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was also impressed with Tess' ambition. I think that this film is a good example of the "relatively new" trend of women moving up in the workforce. I think that one of the things we really haven't talked about in this class is how gender and race can hinder attempts to move into some classes or cultures. For example, we've talked about how money, class, and education (or lack of) can help, or hurt your chances of moving up the social ladder - but we haven't talked (that I can remember) about how gender and race can hurt or help your chances of moving up the social ladder. I'd like to hear some of the opinions in the class. Do you believe that there are still barriers or "glass ceilings" that prevent certain groups from fitting into certain societies or getting high ranking, high paying jobs that can sometimes initiate a change in social class? That was the question that I came away with after watching the film. I don't know why, but that was one of the things that was on my mind most of the time watching it. I also wondered while watching how common sexual harrassment is for women in the workplace today. That may not be what the rest of you came away with, but for some reason - that's what I wondered.

    To answer Nakesha's question - I do think that it is possible to move into a "higher class." But, I think that you have to have a combination of some money, "good" or the "right" taste, and a lot of ambition. I really don't think that it's possible for ALL people to move up in class. But I think that it can definitely happen under the right circumstances. I don't mean to sound negative, but realistically, I don't believe that all people would be accepted into their "desired class."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nakesha,

    You bring up the interesting point about a person possessing class even if they don't have the financial powers to realize their class, which is what the magic slipper represents. Paradoxically, Cinderella is a princess before she becomes a princess. It is her foot that is destined for that shoe. I'm reminded of those teenage movies where the main character is a nerd. By the end of the movie, her true beauty and style are revealed, the heart throb love interest falls for her, and she gets revenge on all of the gum-popping "mean girls" who hated on her before. The actors who play this role are beautiful, of course. They're just given fake braces, thick-rimmed glasses, and bad hairdos to "ugly them up." When the makeover happens, we let out a collective gasp: "There she [the famous actor] is."

    Much the same happens with Tess. She has a kind of sixth sense for reading papers to figure out business trends (freakonomics anyone?). The interesting thing, as Nakesha points out, is that Tess gets revenge on mean girl Katharine, but she also butts heads with Cyn. We could argue that Cyn doesn't possess the drive Tess does, as Alex argues. We could also argue that she's the only one who is perfectly comfortable with who she is. She seems to be in a loving relationship. She has lots of friends. She's funny and witty.

    I will say that I'm bothered by Cyn's insistence on Tess getting back together with Mick. Why would she? He's a total asshole (a stereotypical representation of a lower class man, I might add). When Tess tells him about Katharine and her new job, he complains that their pizza's getting cold; he buys her lingerie for her birthday (essentially, a gift for himself); and he cheats on her with a mutual acquaintance of theirs. Cyn comes off as anti-feminist here and as someone trying to hold Tess back (or down).

    At the same time, I'm sympathetic to Cyn's argument that Tess is being inauthentic by "playing" Katharine.

    ReplyDelete