Friday, March 19, 2010

"You're 50 yrs old and still worried about what your friends think." What's class got to do with it?

I haven’t had a whole lot of classes that focused on social issues or class issues. I took sociology my first semester and pretty much glided through the class without picking up a whole lot of information from it. Other than that the only class I can remember that I’ve taken that addressed social issues was my Africana Philosophy class, and this class focused more on racial issues and racial identity then a social class issue. So by watching People Like Us: Social Class in America, it opened my eyes to the social struggle that happens throughout our country and how bad it actually is. I’ve been aware about the different social classes in America but I’ve never thought about it being a detrimental part of America and still used as an oppressive construct in our society.

In the first section of this film, Bud or Bordeaux, I was really taken in by the argument in Vermont. The argument the town got into was over what food company they would build in the town to serve their citizens, and their options were between a supermarket chain and a small environmentally conscious specialty store. The problems that arose between the two were that the supermarket supplied a great selection of food at a reasonable price but the specialty food supplied a healthier selection of food and better quality food for a higher price. Many of the people in the town were lower income families who couldn’t afford the higher priced food items, and people were arguing over which brands should be supplied for items as simple as bread. An interesting statistic that they pulled was that Americans consume about five loaves of white bread for every one loaf of wheat bread. Growing up on wheat bread myself, and the fact that I can’t stand white bread due to the insufficient nutritional value of the “bread,” I found this quote to be quite shocking. I was highly amused though at the elderly lady who described what was in white bread and her facial reactions as she explained that it was just starch, egg, and I think milk. The town meeting was also an interesting part of the film where one of the council members was trying to explain the pros of the smaller food store, and the elderly citizens that were there were arguing back quite furiously. This whole debate just opens your eyes to how much our food implies where we fit in our society, and it’s sad how some people will look down on others when they see what kind of food someone else consumes.

The next section was call High and Low and what captivated me in this section was the WASP, the White Angelo-Saxton Protestant class. This whole part really bugged me, pardon the pun. The WASP’s just seems to be an elitist class of society and you can only get into it if you were born into it or if you were able to obtain a vast amount of money and are able to pretty much train yourself to act like them. It’s almost like an old style of an aristocratic system born in modern America. A high brow group of people that go to balls, plays golf, and has rich people gatherings. They seemed to marry only other WASP’s and looked down on anyone trying to get into the society that could not, or would not “fit.” It really annoyed me when the main white WASP gentleman doing the interviews described an event he went to where he seen a WASP couple having a good time dancing but he described them as not being aesthetically pleasing enough to even be a part of WASP. He was wondering how they got in and thought that the standards of being a WASP were getting to low. It was just really blatant discrimination on the sole basis of appearance.

Also in this section they talked about the Jack and Jill club. This seemed to be a Who’s Who club for young aspiring black students, which seems to be like it could be a good thing, but it turned out to be nothing more then just one more way to separate different student and place them into different class structures. One of the things that they talked about is how some of the graduating students from this club would look at the yearbook for that year to see who would be going off to the same college they were going so they may be able to maybe match up with them and court them; making sure they were dating someone of a higher class, and making sure they married up. On the flip side it showed a group of mothers talking about the program and one of them asked a friend, who had a child in the program, about getting her an application so she could enroll her daughter, and her friend completely blew her off. So this program became just one more thing for some of the lower class black Americans to hurdle over to “feel accepted.”

The third section was called Salt of the Earth, and if I remember correctly I think the story on Tammy was in this section but I will focus on another story since Alexandrea already expanded quite nicely on this story. There was a young woman who grew up in KY, southern I think since they were saying they were an hour away from Nashville, on a farm with her family. She went to college for writing, went to Washington DC, and wanted to raise herself up in the social class and become a writer. Since she was a small town girl, and always has her small town niches, she has a little trouble assimilating into the big city society. Now since she left her hometown and tried to make something of herself, she is also almost treated as an outcast in her home town just because she left. Some of her old friends and even family feel abandoned. One thing that was stated was a quote that they used which was she “got above her raison.” This meant that she tried to fit into a social class higher then her up bringing. When she visits home now her dad won’t even talk about what she does in DC, it just makes him too uncomfortable to talk about it. This notion by itself is sad, since within their own family they’re letting class relations sour their family relationship.

The last section is titled Belonging, in which this section focused mostly on high school cliques which we’ve all experienced this social outcast system. I was mostly a choir/band geek myself. They conducted many interviews with students from Anderson High School and this was a school with the demography of a higher class of society. They even interviewed a few teachers and some even said it was a little uncomfortable when they drove home and their students had much nicer cars then they did that their parent bought for them. These kids all recognized all the different cliques that were around, and that they mostly hung around others that shared pretty much the same social status as them. Some of the girls said that they would hang out with other kids with social classes outside their, but just never had the chance. In my opinion this is completely conceited, since the opportunity for them is open every single day if they just take some initiative. The girl who made the most sense out of everyone interviewed was the out casted, nerdy girl. She said she didn’t really care what others thought of her, and she didn’t mind if she was by herself as long as she was true to herself. Those are wise words that it’s a shame none of the other people interviewed in that school seemed to portray.

To close this entry I want to just reinstate how this film is an eye opener to the idea of how class affects every single one of us in some of the slightest ways. Some ways may be even subliminal with how we present ourselves, to something as obvious as our material things we like to flaunt. Which I am no exception, I have a leather jacket that I love to wear during cooler weather because it makes me feel more confident. This has been an age old issue from the beginning of human consciousness, and I don’t think we as human beings will ever be free from the idea of a social class structure.

P.S. can you get my title reference?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdey7Qa52nM&feature=PlayList&p=C6D871A2A8C3C8EF&playnext=8&playnext_from=PL&index=7

9 comments:

  1. that link at the end is a deleted scene from the film that i found on youtube. i thought it was a pretty interesting interview of a young couple who clashed culturally and who're planning on getting married.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The debate about whether or not to allow the construction of the large-chain store versus the "health food" store was particularly interesting to me, as well. I've seen the WalMart documentaries and heard the arguments against shopping there, but I've also heard a number of arguments in favor of shopping there. What it always comes down to, in the end, is the cost. I don't doubt that everyone wants to eat healthier food and lead healthier lives, but it's becoming something of an impossibility for a lot of people.
    There is a definite stigma that comes with WalMart (I freely admit that I really don't like even walking in the front door), but I think that stigma walks hand-in-hand with class. It's a brand that's become emblematic of the lower class. Simply put, WalMart's prices are lower than many other places. Whether or not people want to shop there, whether or not they want to spend their money on the items that WalMart passes off as food, after a while, it's the only thing you can afford, especially food-wise. When you work 40+ hours a week just to live a paycheck to paycheck lifestyle, it's kind of hard to justify spending almost twice as much somewhere else to get food that someone who has the money to spend says is healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I suppose I am just a bit more laid back about this social class issue. I simply cant relate with wanting to be a part of something so degrading. I believe you cant be insulted unless you allow it to happen. Allowing it to happen gives power to another person. That kind of power I do not hand over easily. There are many repulsive things that people do everyday which cause another person to feel left out or cast out. I can assure you that recently you've said or done something that has caused another to feel inferior to you. You may not realize that your glances or comments could have such an effect. I've been in property management for years and at one point in my life I decided to expand my options and challenge myself by taking a job with section 8 and HUD in Cincinnati. I met people that reeked of roach spray, didnt bathe and were strung out on drugs. Of course, not all of them were this way but it was a common sight. One client I will never forget. She was a young black girl with two children trying to escape the abuse of her husband. We hit it off and I just adored her. But as I was telling her about myself I mentioned that I was poor. She said "no you are not poor. You dont know what poor is. You have a car, you have nice clothes and you have a nice roof over your head." She was right and I was ashamed. I used the word without even considering her. But I certainly wasnt trying to be so inconsiderate. I agree with you that social class is something that is entirely unavoidable. But an old fashioned spanking wouldnt hurt for some of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your title!!! When that man made that comment, I thought to myself that my Dad just turned 50 this past August. I wonder what his input is on having nice things and trying to be better at than the next 50yr old! Obviously, this issue does not get any better as you get older. One thing I would like to comment on is the Jack and Jill club. This seemed so ridiculous to me that the students would look at the graduating yearbook and compare themselves to them and try to one up them, if you know what I mean. It seems so outrageous to me that people drop to those kind of standards. Worry about yourself, not others. As for the lady ignoring ones request for an application, how rude can you be? To think that education, which is a privilege, can make one feel less accepted.

    Of course, I related to the last section of the video “Belonging”. I went to an all girl’s catholic high school in Ohio. I saw girls everyday trying to fit in with the newest fashion or trend. It got even worse when you turned the so called “ Sweet Sixteen” girls would judge what kind of car you were driving and if it was brand new or not. If I was a teacher at the school, I would feel the same way if my students were driving a better car than myself. (That their parents bought them!) I’m sure the students do not appreciate it, nor did they work to earn it or pay for it.

    Also, I watched the deleted scene, I could not help but laugh at these two and how different they were and how society and class has really showed their true character.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also didn’t know there was such a big emphasis on social class issues in the U.S. From what I know about class I mostly have learned from the courses I have taken at NKU. The U.S. is an individualistic cultural and everyone is raised to take care of themselves and put themselves first. This is why I believe there is a big difference between people and why we have upper, middle, and lower class.

    I also watched the link that you had posted at the end of your blog. I found it interesting that these two could even get along. In the beginning the guy says that because he is Jewish and she is Protestant. To me that is just a difference in religion and class should have no part of it. I really think you can be any religion you want no matter what class you are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You bring up a great point when you said how much of an eye-opener this film was. Social class, whether we want to believe it or not, affects each of us in our everyday lives. Although its not something that we consciously think about, each of us judges someone everyday. It is not something I'm proud to admit, but its something I'm sure I do. Watching this film will make me more aware that I am doing this next time I do. I'm not saying I think I'm better than anyone I come in contact with, but I know that I judge people when I see them. I wish this was something I didn't do, but feel that it has been something that has been instilled in me throughtout life.
    Also, the part about the WASP's blew my mind. How can you enjoy life when you are constantly looking down upon those who you consider to be "lower" than you? It was almost like they felt more superior only when they were able to point out things in people that they would never be caught dead doing/wearing/driving. Not being a part of the upper class, and viewing them through the eyes of this film makes me more proud of being a memeber of the middle class than ever. Why would you want to associate yourself with people who treat others the way they do.
    The link you posted to the clip on youtube is a prime example of social classes mixing. Why would that man want to marry/live with a woman who wasnt accepting of his background or lifestyle? I would have ended the relationship from the second that she/he asked me to change my hometown in our engagement announcement. DISGUSTS ME!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with a lot about you stated on the documentaries. First I think that the "High and Low" section caught my attention as well. The WASP to me just like as you stated seems to be a society you can only get in if you were born into or had large amounts of money and then trained yourself to act like them. It seemed like some type of cult and that they thought just because they had a lot of money that they were better than everyone else. They shunned themselves from the rest of the outside world, and unless you were apart of their "group" then they didn't bother with you. It's a very discriminating group and makes you not even want to be apart of the higher social class, because of the way they behave and carry themselves. They come off as not pleasant to be around, which would make me not want to became rich and be apart of their "cult". Another clip that caught my eye was the "Belonging" clip. In High School everyone has there cliques, and the social class outcast. However, I attended an all girls catholic High School where I felt like every girl secretly tried to out do each other on everything. There were cliques based on social class, and unless your daddy had a lot of money or you grew up with a lot of money then it was hard to get into. They were intimidating to be around because they constantly acted as if they were better than you, because there daddy spoiled them with everything. You knew they came from a family of higher social class because of the way they dressed on weekends, the cars they drove, and the materialistic things they had. I wish students, girls especially would stop worrying about what others think of them and be happy with whom they are as individuals, just like the outcast girl stated in the video.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the post, Phylip. You got us thinking about our own experiences with social class and how we treat others from different classes.

    The couple in the section "Trouble in Paradise" is fascinating precisely because they ask us to reflect on whether we are close with anyone from a class different than our own. Birds of a feather flock together, especially when it comes to class. Do any of you have friends who you would consider to be part of a different class? If so, are there ever awkward moments or unstated antagonisms between you caused by the class difference? I have a close friend, for example, whose family has more money than mine. His parents paid for his college education. Mine didn't, so I have $30,000 in student loan debt. Whenever I hear about his monetary woes, a little voice in my head says, "I sympathize with you, but you don't have any student loan debt so stop complaining." Imagine yourself older and wildly successful. Would you remain good friends with someone who couldn't afford your lifestyle, or would you make new friends with people who could vacation with you, join the country club, eat at fine dining establishments, etc.? (The show Entourage represents the fantasy of maintaining your friendships despite hitting it big. Like LeBron James, just hire your bffs to work for you!)

    Members of a family, on the other hand, can't choose each other like friends or couples, hence family gatherings are one place where classes may meet. I think the unspoken root of many family disputes is class, especially when one sibling becomes wealthier than the others, thus breeding resentment for getting above their "raison." Dana Felty, the young woman from KY in People Like Us, experiences a clash of cultures with her own father. It's difficult to even hold a conversation with someone from a different class. What do you talk about? The weather? The local sports team? A blockbuster movie? Then what?

    I agree with Amanda that you can be any religion regardless of class. However, you can't go to any place of worship. MLK famously said, "it is appalling that the most segregated hour of Christian America is eleven o'clock on Sunday morning." He was talking about racial differences, but I think one could say much the same about class. Rich people go to churches in rich neighborhoods, and poor people go to churches in poor neighborhoods, much like grocery stores reflect the socioeconomic conditions of their location. Before Kroger renovated its Vine Street store (the one located closest to its headquarters!) in 2003, it was considered one of the most run-down stores of the chain. Even with the renovation, many Cincinnatians continue to travel to the Hyde Park location because it is better stocked, has fresher produce, is cleaner, etc. http://www.enquirer.com/editions/2003/06/03/editorial_wwwedit1c3.html

    On a personal note, I'll share that I grew up on white bread. I'm a first generation college student. While my parents continue to eat white bread and many unhealthy foods, I've moved on to wheat bread and healthier foods because I now know better. Thanks to my education, I know that's it worth the extra time and cost to eat better. Nevertheless, I understand the lore of Wal-Mart that Eric discussed. What to do? One issue not addressed in the bread scene is how the government subsidizes Big Food, which is responsible for creating so much of the "crap" we eat. If we shifted these subsidies to producing healthier food (or what foodies would call "real food"), then the price of organics and whatnot would come down. What our grocery stores stock would change.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The argument about the supermarket vs the health food store was interesting. Why on earth, except for being in one of the most liberal states in the union, would you choose a health food store over a supermarket? First of all, a supermarket offers a lot more variety than a health food store would and secondly, the supermarket would offer a lot more jobs. They may not be the most desirable jobs, but they are jobs none the less.

    ReplyDelete